Sending a little 6 year old boy on a bus ALL DAY is hard. It's especially hard when you have a child who only shares important life details like when he has to poop, when the toilet needs plunging after said poop, when he is hungry, when he is no longer hungry, when he is bored, when I am being too loud or embarrassing and where he will be when he wakes up on Saturday morning and heads outside to play for 5 hours. Now that he spends nearly 40 hours a week at school...I haven't gotten much...okay ANY feedback.
Oh sure, after school, I give him the drill. I ask him stuff like who he played with, how was his lunch, did he have to do any writing, what game he played in gym and about the girl he said he liked and can you tell me again her father's average yearly income? The entire time I am going through the drill, he is staring at the frickin' T.V. or gazing over my shoulder watching to see if his BFF's garage is opening - and then his little uniformed self is on the driveway yelling that he'll be over in a second.
But today, today was different. I was pumped. Today was the first day I pulled something out of his "take-home" folder that wasn't a sign-up or or a request for money. Well, it was actually kind of a craft (see drawing below) but it was also his first handwriting project. I didn't get the details on what the specific assignment was (see mention of best friend who he is currently lighting fires with in the backyard) but I was able to read what he wrote.
Since I was missing a few details, I assumed these were the emotions he picked to describe his first week of school. I wanted to share with him that I had those very same emotions. I was proud of him for being so great about waking up at the ass-crack of dawn and coming home at dinner. I was scared that he might get motion sickness on the bus and throw-up all over or not have any friends to hang out with on the playground. I was also ANGRY that the bus had to come before I would even think about opening my Diet Coke. The problem was when I went to tell him all of this, he told me he had "no idea" why he picked those words to write. After that, he told me we needed more juice boxes and that he was going outside to play.
Clearly his gets his sentiment from his father.

xo -- B.M.

1 comment:
PROUD? RIGHT? Proud. Scared. Angry? Agree.
Post a Comment