Monday, May 17, 2010

I didn't know there were warriors in Indiana!

Houston we have a problem. Yes, yes we do.

I grew up in suburban Detroit. I went to a high school of over 4000 people. My neighbors and friends were all different religions and skin colors. Other than Hudsonville, Jenison, Mackinac Island or really anywhere to the north of the Mackinac bridge...we live in the whitest place on earth. Really, we do. I mean, our idea of "cultural diversity" is when the Arnold Amusement workers come to town for the Cherry Festival...and those people, well they are all white! They may be known best for their bad oral hygiene, but so are people from Great Britain...except Prince William & Prince Harry, they must have a great dentist at the Buckingham Palace.

Skin color, religious difference and sexual orientation is a non-issue for me. Bad oral hygiene is, but we're not discussing that today. Really, I am trying to raise children who share the same beliefts as I do. Oh, shut up. I can hear some of you now calling me a LIBERAL -- and to you I say, NEWSFLASH not being a racist gay-hater does not define a LIBERAL just in case you are looking for a CLUE.

In fact, I read recently that not discussing race with your children is just as bad of an idea as ignoring the topic of sex. And well, I don't recommend that.

Sheesh...this is a little deep for me.

Anyway, back with living in one of the WHITEST places on earth. Having all white neighbors (with one confirmed exception) and friends really is a problem. It is NOT how the world works.

So when the only culturally diverse Americans we have in our entire 250 home neighborhood were out walking last night...father and son in jeans and t-shirts, mother in a traditional Indian sari, Jeepers proclaimed that there was a "warrior" walking around the circle (WOW ARE those conversations doing wonders). I was quick to correct him.

I gave him another variation of "the talk" on how we live in a country made up of people from all other parts of the world. Our neighbor "Meg" is from India and she was wearing a traditional Indian outfit for women, called a sari. I said that it was probably comfortable for her, just like jeans and t-shirts are comfortable for he and his brother from another mother. I really thought I was getting somewhere. He shook his head, asked a few more questions about her outfit (I think he might want one) and then he proclaimed "I didn't know there were warriors in Indiana."

Time for a road trip.

xo

B.M.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

funny funny funny. love it!