I went to summer camp...band camp, crazy Jesus camp and make-out with a cute boy from Brighton on the dance floor camp. The thing I remember the most was KP duty...where I had to go early and get the plates and cups and juice for evvvvvvvvveryyyyyyyyyoneeeeeeeeeee in the cabin. I hated it because #1) I had to get up early #2) I had to get up earlier than everyone #3) I hate early.
Last week, I spent my first vacation at an all-inclusive resort. There were a few restaurants but we had a majority of our meals in the "main" dining room. I had KP duty every morning...#1) because Susie decided to eat instead of drink milk #2) because I am a mom and that's what I do #3) because that's what moms are supposed to do #4) because they had cocktails at breakfast.
Just like at camp...on vacation I made friends. There was the angry hot gay guy who I stood in line for "a la carte" restaurant reservations with and shared a Cervesa...and the group of 6 Gramma types in aqua socks, bad floral and animal print bathing suits from "back east" who wanted to see "how that bow stayed in my baby's hey-ya." Oh, and least I not forget the 60+ year old woman who had a lavender thong sticking out of the top of her jeans WITH SILVER CHARMS ON IT who sat across from us and in front of Kiley on the airplane...she was so sweet and kid friendly that Kiley had to pull out an f-bomb and throw it right at her.
The major difference? The camp counselor's or "Star Friends" as they called themselves...served alcohol which was much better than "fruit punch" out of the big rectangular dispenser at camp even if the plastic drink ware was IDENTICAL.
There was no swim test, or panty raid, or making the freshman get out of bed and do jumping jacks at 4 A.M.. BUT there was competitive beach chair reserving, co-sleeping (typically I am more of a detachment parent), and lots of sun.
Summer camp? I don't ever want to go back!
Summer weather in February? I can't get back fast enough.
25 days until spring break...Until then, I will keep warm just flipping through these photos.
xo --- B.M.
No comments:
Post a Comment