Sunday, May 4, 2008

The smirk...

Don't try to deny it for even a second, because YOU HAVE DONE IT. We've all done it. Being the one on the receiving end, well that's something completely different.

Surely, you have all experienced the common smirks:

- The "I know I am supposed to know you from somewhere so I will give you this half-ass smile just in case you are someone important" smirk!

-The "secret mom" smirk -- you know the one where there is a really naughty kid and you are by yourself and pretending that you didn't have to bribe someone with CASH to stay home with your kid to get a few minutes to yourself?

You typically give this smirk to someone else who you assume is a mom based on the contents of their grocery cart or the size of their purse.

You may also give this smirk to the mom of the bratty child...where in those rare few moments you are pretending that you absolutely do not have a child and certainly not one who would act like that. To appear like you don't have a child, please hide the diapers or the Trix yogurt in your cart or your secret is out).

My personal favorite is the one I have been guilty of sharing with a cashier in response to the guest in front of me.

- It is the "I can't believe this person is STILL WRITING A FRICKIN' PAPER CHECK" smirk!

BUT, I bet you haven't been on the receiving end lately (or ever) of the "pregnant smirk!"

Sure, some of them are nice for example:

-"Oh, that lady is pregnant I sure wish I had a baby I love babies!" or the "that little boy reminds me of my grandson" smirk!

However, there are also those that are not to nice:

The "I can't believe that this woman is having another kid" smirk! -- this one occurs usually when I am with Jeepers and he is displaying what I like to call his not quite Christmas card letter behavior.

There is also the "I didn't see a wedding ring, where the heck is her baby daddy" smirk. This one comes from the people who assume that since I am not wearing a ring, I am an uneducated, non-working, single mom who's not quite sure who the baby-daddy is!!!

And my personal favorite the "and your Doctor told you there was only ONE kid in there" smirk! Perhaps it's the prego shufffle, or the fact that I have completely reverted to the 80's and have been letting it ALL HANG OUT by wearing wearing capri leggings under a big sweatshirt that accentuates my oh-so-flattering (HA) figure.

NEWSFLASH people...if you are a mom you once had the shuffle even if you only gained 10 pounds during your pregnancy. You t00 have once had a kid who fussed at the store, and I guarantee you have left the house AT LEAST ONCE IN YOUR LIFE without your wedding ring.

Please also consider, if you are not a parent that it is highly possible that you once acted naughty as a child. I know it's far fetched, for you are perrrffeecct in every way but just pretend, for my sake.

My free advice, keep the smirks to yourself or the prego you are staring at is liable to hit you...or sit on you which could be life threatening.

1 comment:

Carter Frais said...

I have been the victim of the "she don't know who her baby daddy is" smirk but it was a "Oh God another teenage mother, who don't know who her baby daddy is and my tax dollars are going to pay for" smirk. Due to my lack of wedding ring because of swelling, ponytailed hair, oversized t-shirt, no makeup, being short and in the mall alone during school hours.
You sing it Sista, keep your smirks to yourself people!