Golfdad says "Would Jesus rather have me in church thinking about the golf course, or on the golf course thinking about Jesus?"
I say that it really isn't anything fun about going to church by yourself, trying to talk your 3-year-old into how much he is going to LOVE Sunday school, when you KNOW that you are lying. And then there is trying to find a church home -- they are all so different and complicated.
So, just to remind us the "story" of Christmas or the "theory" for me, Big Momma the ultimate skeptic, we put out a nativity scene that we have. Of course Jeepers loved the animals, and wanted to know why the "peoples" didn't have any faces (we have one of those Willow Tree nativity scene sand nobody has faces). I figured maybe I would try a little "home church schooling." I got the "peoples" out and decided to explain the role of each of them. I started with baby Jesus.
It went something like this...
Big Momma - "J.P. do you know what this baby's name is?"
Jeepers - "His name is baby, is this his mom and dad, why don't they have eyes?"
Big Momma - "His name is actually Jesus and these are his parents Mary and Joseph. Baby Jesus birthday is on Christmas, that is when he was born."
Jeepers - "No, Cwistmas is when Santa comes!"
Big Momma - "Yes, Christmas is when Santa comes but it is also Baby Jesus' birthday. Santa comes in honor of Baby Jesus birthday and gives gifts like these Sheperds did for him. His real name is Jesus Christ and Christ is part of the word Christmas."
Jeepers - "Jesus Cwist? Mom did you say Jesus Cwist? That's a ve-we, ve-we bad wud mom. Dad, mom said a bad wud, she said Jesus Cwist."
It was then that I decided that surely, it was o.k. that Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, the Shepards and the animals watched their keep there on top of the T.V.. We went back to playing trains, or watching trains or coloring trains or something like that. Maybe I'll try again next Sunday.
B.M.
1 comment:
That is hilarious, good try though. I just got our Nativity from Biker Chic and Curly only cares about the baby needing to eat.
Post a Comment